Thursday, 14 May 2015

BROWN AND LOVELY

So, for the first time in the history of my life, I have actually been paying attention to all the TV shows my family have been watching on GEO and ARY and I couldn't help but notice how much diversity the industry was lacking in terms of the appearance of famous female figures.

Probably 99% of successful women in Pakistani media that you can think of have one thing in common. The amount of melanin they have. Or, sickening as it may sound, how well they manage to cover it up with the aid of skin lightening creams or skin bleach. 

It's sad when you think about it. Pakistan is a country of colour, yet the message being given out is that the lighter you are, the more prettier you are and chances are, the more respected and successful you will be. 

This is solely down to us. We're to blame. Oddly enough, being "brown" is looked down on in Pakistani culture. Ironic, isn't it? Nearly every Pakistani person I have come across (I said nearly every) has at least once in their lives mocked someone for the colour of their skin. If you're Pakistani, I'm certain that you know where I'm coming from.

Men only finding women attractive if they're light skinned, women mocking women if they aren't light skinned. Seriously? Get over this obsession and for once, just accept who you are. Drop all these whitening creams and bleaches. The endless endeavour to lose your heritage won't get you anywhere in life. If you want respect off others, you need to learn to respect yourself first and accept yourself for whom you truly are.

Don't strive to change yourself to please others as you may lose your true, unique self in the process.

2 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting topic to me, in Ireland everyone tries to tan as much as possible and makes fun of the palest people - even though Irish people are naturally very pale. If you're dark because you're foreign, people will find a problem with you, and if you're pale because you're from here, people will find a problem, and if you're a pale foreigner, that's an equally big problem :P

    I hate that such Eurocentric beauty standards are the norm across the world, and that people can't appreciate other kinds of beauty. Thank you for your thought-provoking post on it, and also thanks for your comment over at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy because it just seems as if everyone just wants what they don't have. Unrealistic standards, to be honest. Thank you for sharing that with me, I wasn't aware that these problems exist elsewhere too! I agree, people should start being more accepting of their natural selves.

      No problem. Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete